What is hold redelivery for eBooks?
We’re introducing a new option for available holds in our digital book collection: hold redelivery (or the “Deliver later” option). This feature gives patrons more control over their digital holds, so they can borrow and read titles when it’s most convenient for them. Go to https://ohdbks.overdrive.com/ with your library card to borrow digital items.
To support this feature, the automatic hold checkout setting will be removed from our library’s digital collection. Any current holds will be updated to remove that setting, meaning that patrons will need to manually borrow them when they’re available.
How does hold redelivery work?
- When a hold becomes available, a patron will receive a notification and have 3 days to pick up the hold.
- The patron can then borrow the hold, have it delivered later, or cancel it.
- When a patron chooses to have a hold delivered later, they pick the earliest possible date to receive the title, keep their place in line, and pass the copy to the next person in line.
- After the “deliver later” date, the patron will receive the next available copy.
- If a patron takes no action during the hold pickup window, the “deliver after seven days” option will be automatically applied as a one-time courtesy.
- If the patron takes no action a second time, their hold will be canceled.
What are some benefits of hold redelivery?
- Patrons can borrow and read titles when it’s convenient for them.
- Wait lists will move more efficiently as patrons pass books to the next person in line.
- The next patron in line will be delighted when the patron ahead says, “not now.”
How else can patrons manage your holds?
Patrons can still use the “suspend hold” feature before holds are ready to borrow. Hold suspension lets patrons continue moving up on the wait list without the hold becoming available to borrow. This means patrons can now manage their holds before and after they become available, giving even more flexibility and control.