The Sentinel outside Carnegie Library
The Sentinel on the Diamond, circa 1895
Sentinel at the Cemetery, a close-up viewThe "Roving" SentinelThis statue familiar to all who live in or near East Liverpool has resided in the city for many years but has stood as "Sentinel" watching the former Confederacy in several different locations throughout the city."He stands on guard, sternly facing the direction of the former Confederacy, one hand grasping his sword, the other clutching Old Glory." This statement appeared in the East Liverpool Historical Society publication "Hills & Kilns" in September 1990 marking the 100th year that the Sentinel had stood in the city. More than 20 years after the close of the Civil War a group of local citizens petitioned the City Council to purchase a monument in memory of Civil War soldiers, In 1888 a committee solicited for $3,000 to obtain a monument to be erected in the Diamond. The statue was manufactured by the Monumental Bronze Co. of Bridgeport Connecticut. It stands 23 feet (including the base) and is made of a mixture of zinc, tin, and copper and weighs about 4 tons.The cornerstone on the Diamond was laid on Memorial Day, May 32, 1890. Unveiling of the statue occurred at a two day gala event on October 1 & 2, 1890. The first day was for the dedication and reunions for veterans including a free dinner for them held at the skating rink on 5th Street.Local pottery owners and other firms declared two days off for employees and Governor James Campbell was the keynote speaker.The Sentinel remained at the Diamond for less than a decade when it was removed to the City Park in 1909 (near the old cemetery). Seven years later in 1916 it was relocated to the front of the Carnegie Library.In 1942 it was finally moved to the Riverview Cemetery where it stands today located next to the GAR Chapel and the tract of the cemetery designated for veterans of the Civil War and subsequent wars.For several years the sword was missing from the right hand but was found and repaired and replaced in the 1970's.Locals have thought that the statue may have been modeled after William Surles, a Civil War veteran and Congressional Medal of Honor winner who resided in East Liverpool after the war but it is apparently drawn from a mold which produced many other statues in the 19th Century.
Road through the East End
Neville SchoolNeville School- East End. This building still stands.
Old City Hall
Ikert BuildingIkert Building, corner of 5th & Market Streets.
Columbian ParkThis is in East End and is now the soccer fields. Columbian Park was at one time a racetrack.
Anderson HomeThe Anderson Home, Broadway. It looks like this is now the Kent State Parking lot.
Snow in 1950A snow scene of East Liverpool at the corner of Broadway and St. Clair Avenue. 1950.
Potters National BankCorner of 4th and Broadway. Now Smith Auto.
Pottery WorkersLeft to right: Batter-out, Jiggerman and mold-runner.
Locke's Jewelry StoreLocke's Jewelry Store at Broadway and 5th Streets. Sometimes things do remain the same!!
Chester Bridge from Third StreetThe Chester Bridge from Third Street. many can remember this scene for many years the best connection to Chester, WV. Demolished in ? it was replaced by the Jennings Randolph Bridge in ?. (Can anyone help us with the years?)
California Hollow.California Hollow. Now State Rte 11 looking north.
East Liverpool Railway CompanyEast Liverpool Railway Company. Once a thriving commuter network bringing people to East Liverpool from locations such as Wellsville and other surrounding communities. The Railway company was one of the first casualties of the growing popularity of the automobile and better roads.
East Liverpool from what is now State Rte 7.
Second StreetA scene of Second Street. There is not much left of this street, which was once a thriving part of the East Liverpool business district. The passing of many years and movement of the Ohio River have caused extensive change. The remains of Second street can be seen on the east bound ramp of State Rte 39. It looks nothing like you see it here.
Going into East Liverpool from Wellsville. Now State Rte 7.
The Diamond circa 1895.
The Loop- East End.
Railway: Looking from Wellsville to East Liverpool.
Home of William SurlsHome of William Surls (3rd Street) Circa 1895. This home is still very much visible in East Liverpool and is still a private residence.
5th Street at the Foutts blockLooking down 5th Street at the Foutts block. Circa 1895. Some of the buildings pictured here can still be seen today.